Friday, May 27, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs

I did not participate in prom 2011- neither the actual prom nor the after party. This was because #1 I am a junior and wasn't invited and #2 I am new to the school and it would be awkward if I showed up.
I am definitely planning to go to prom next year, especially because it will be my prom. I have heard so much about it in movies and from others that I feel I would miss out on a huge part of the American culture and the whole high school experience if I didn't go. What was discussed in class did not change my opinion on prom; we talked about dominant social practices and how prom is overrated, but I'm sure the attitude someone has towards prom is based on their own opinion. If a person wants to dress up and look like a movie star - they can. If someone wants to bring a cousin as a date - why shouldn't they? If prom is spent with a group of real friends then no one will be (or should be) made fun of. 
I didn't find out much about prom '11. All I heard was that the actual prom was great but the after party was boring and no one danced. I don't have much experience with prom but one of my thoughts is that most people got tired during the actual prom and were out of energy for the after party. It also could be that people dispersed into different parties and the official one became the least popular. 
All the stereotypical and cartoony descriptions of prom I heard and read in class did not discourage me and I as still berry excited to go next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think?